LEGACY Leadership and Mentoring Program
The LEGACY Leadership and Mentoring Program supports the retention and success of first-year Black/African American students at the University of Central Florida.
Pillars of Success:
- Identity Development
- Career Development
LEGACY Scholars are assigned a faculty/staff member as their committed Mentor for their first academic year. Mentors are members of UCF’s Black Faculty and Staff Association (BFSA) and assist LEGACY Scholars with acquiring the knowledge and skills to be effective students. Contact Greg Saunders of the BFSA if you are interested in becoming a Mentor.
LEGACY Scholars will engage in monthly meetings from August-April where they have the opportunity to learn from the academic and professional journey of UCF faculty and staff members. LEGACY Scholars will also receive special invitations to campus-wide events such as the BFSA Joseph C. Andrews Mentoring Breakfast.
Learn more about LEGACY by viewing the brochure here.
Learn more about the Black Faculty and Staff Association here.
A Special Thank You to the 2018-2019 Legacy Mentors
- Darryl Gordon, Coord. Academic Advising, College of Health Professions and Sciences
- Tijuana Rollins, Academic Advisor, College of Nursing
- Dr. A.J. Range, Assistant VP, SDES Neighborhood Relations
- Dr. Richard Ajayi, Associate Professor, Finance
- Holly McDonald, Associate Lecturer, Theatre
- Dr. DeLaine Priest, Associate VP, SDES
- Belinda Hyppolite, Assistant VP, SDES
- Dr. S. Kent Butler, Associate Professor, Counselor Education and School Psychology
- ToCarra Jordan, Sr. MAAPS Advisor, TTS
- Tammie Nadeau, Assistant Director, MASS
- Gregory Saunders, Coord. Academic Advising, FYAE
- Andre Watts, Associate Director, IKM
Apply to be a LEGACY Scholar!
The role of scholars in the mentoring relationship is important. The critical elements that scholars should bring to their mentor/scholar relationships are:
- Willingness to be mentored
- Desire to learn
- Receptive demeanor
More information on expectations of the LEGACY Scholars can be found here.Complete the application
Become a LEGACY Mentor!
The role of the mentor is to assist a scholar in acquiring the skills to be successful. Specifically, mentors perform roles in four key categories:
More information on expectations of LEGACY Mentors can be found here.
Please contact Gregory Saunders (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions you may have.Complete the application